Lincoln Riley will start off his Head Coaching career for the Sooners against the UTEP Miners, in what should make his record 1-0. The players know that the focus is supposed to be on this week, the current game at hand, but with a trip to Columbus the next week, its hard not to overlook this ordinary UTEP team.
This game against UTEP should just be a tune up game to get the players ready. This will be a learning game for some players, and should help them prepare for Ohio State. Expect to see a lot of backups and freshmen get playing time in the second half if/when it is a blow out early.
The Miners have a mediocre offense that can get the ball in the end zone, but they’ll be in for a challenge against the Sooner defense. Their defense on the other hand, is no match for Baker Mayfield’s fast, high powered, gun slinging offense.
The Sooners backfield and receivers are going to have to adjust to the losses of big players since last year. With the loss of players like Running Backs Samaje Perine and Joe Mixon, Rodney Anderson is going to have to step up this season.He’s looked good in practice and during the spring game. He says he’s ready to come back in a big way after his season ending neck injury last year. Stepping up for the missing receivers such as Dede Westbrook need to be players like Jeffery Mead and Jeff Badet. Mead is expected to pick up where the Biletnikoff Award Winner left off. At 6’5″ and with quick feet, Sooner fans should be ready to see him open downfield. Another major Sooners receiver, Nick Basquine, will miss this season due to a torn ACL.
Some things we will be watching for on Saturday:
- Freshman Cedarian Lamb will get his first start in what looks to be a prolific career. Expect Mayfield to find him early and often.
- This will be a great game for the new running backs to get their feet wet and test out the waters. It will give fans and coaches a good picture of the kinds of backs we have.
- How will Lincoln Riley use Kyler Murray? It’s a burning question and many fans are dying to know.
- Another freshman, Kenneth Murray, will also get his first start. Expect to see a lot of crazy athletic plays but also some freshmen mistakes.
- Expect Obo and Caleb Kelly to be absolutely all over the place. Sacks, pressure, you name it.
The Sooners and Miners have faced off just 3 times, but the Sooners have swept the series 3-0. This game will be no different, and the Sooners will come out with a demanding win, feeling and looking ready to face off against Urban Meyer and the Buckeyes in Columbus.
Sooner Magic Sports Score Prediction- 52-17 in favor of the boys from Norman.
Article by Anderson Inman